Welcome to our family blog to keep you updated on all the happenings around the Walker cottage and "farm". Even though we live in a rural section of the Tennessee Mountains life is far from boring as you will see.

Monday, May 23, 2022

MAY 2022 WALKER NEWSLETTER

 

Hello!

The weather has finally turned nice and warm after a cold spell and snow flurries the week after Easter- the blackberry winter (what the old timers call the seven cold spells during spring here in the mountains), which usually comes before Good Friday.   Most try and have their beans planted by Good Friday.  Since I was running late, I didn't feel too guilty when the temperature dropped back down to freezing again.  I have since got my beans planted, cleaned out my raspberry and blackberry patches, have transplanted some bushes, and flowers.

Everything is green once again here in the mountain with azaleas, wisteria- that didn't get nipped by frost, money plants, lilacs, and iris are blooming. My crabapple tree blossoms and half of my wisteria was killed by one of the cold spells.  The air is still perfumed by the fragrant wisteria and lilacs making the bees and butterflies go crazy. The hummingbirds are back- a sign warm weather is here to stay. Hanging out the wash is such a delight surrounded by so much beauty and life.   God has created a wonderful world for us to inhabit and enjoy here on earth.

Inside we have begun renovating the kitchen.  All my dishes are out of the cupboards under a sheet on the dining room table.  Dwight sanded down the cabinets for me as my hands weren't strong enough to hold the sander.  After caulking all around, I got the ceiling painted. I was quite exhausted by the time I was finished, but it looks brand new. Now for the headboard and cabinets. Yesterday, I ordered the new countertops and sink.

This Monday I am going to be traveling with my granddaughter, Annette, and Curtis up to PA to stay with my sister for a week while they attend a wedding. I am so excited to be able to spend some time with my sister after losing Dana, my BIL, an uncle, and our brother so close together. It's been years since I was able to go to PA. While there we plan to also go and visit my one aunt as well.  This will be a special time for my sister and I.  God's timing is always perfect.

Dawn & her family are adjusting quite well to life in the Philippines. I love all the pictures Dawn sends showcasing their world. We are excited at all the doors God is opening for them to minister in.

Meanwhile, Dwight keeps me and the place going here at home.

Have a wonderful day~

Dorcas

No comments:

Post a Comment