Welcome to our family blog to keep you updated on all the happenings around the Walker cottage and "farm". Even though we live in a rural section of the Tennessee Mountains life is far from boring as you will see.

Monday, May 23, 2022

MARCH & APRIL 2022 WALKER NEWSLETTER

 

Hello!

I can't believe that two months have passed by already since I sent out a newsletter.  My life has been in one upheaval after another, even more than usual. Hopefully smoother days are ahead. I'm so thankful to have God to lean on when our world is turned up-side-down. Meanwhile I know I can trust Him.  What a blessed assurance!

The week after I sent out the February newsletter, I went to my local doctor to get some of my prescriptions filled. A couple days later, Dwight had to take me back to the doctor as I was sick. I realized it wasn't an ordinary head cold/flu when I started having trouble breathing.  My doctor tested me for strep throat and influenza, which were negative, gave me two shots & two prescriptions, told me to get a covid test, which also was negative- so much for the accuracy of that-, and to watch my oxygen level as it had dropped. I was quite sick for two weeks having to sleep elevated to help me breathe. It took me another two weeks to regain my strength back, with relapses, as I slowly got better. Dear Dwight took over taking care of the animals, cooking, and cleaning.  I told him he was doing such a good job, I'd hire him as my housekeeper. For some reason Dwight declined my proposal.

While I was getting my strength back, Dwight was hunting down a mid-size car for me to replace the Durango, which drank gas like water, was way too big for what I now needed, and wasn't in the greatest of shape. I'm very color oriented so while Dwight was concerned about the motor under the hood and things like that, I was more worried about the color. I turned down a black, white, and tomato red car telling Dwight I needed something more me.  He found a gold car and asked me if he brought it home if I felt up to taking a ride to check it out. So, I bundled up and Dwight drove me down the road.  The car was just my style.  It was a 2004 Buick Century, one owner that didn't drink or eat in the car so it still looked like new, and got 30 mph to the gallon. Best of all it was in the low price range of what I could afford. Talk about a major answer to prayer! Dwight bought it, a fellow helped him get it home, and that evening Dwight sold the Durango and it was gone- all without me even lifting a finger. Three days later, I finally got to drive my car- with Dwight sitting beside me, as he wasn't convinced I was up for driving yet.

The beginning of March, my sister and I found out that my brother, only a year older than me, was terminal in stage four with a fast growing cancer. It was quite a shock. Every six months or more, out on the road while driving truck long distance, my brother would call me. I had tried to be in more contact with Nathan over the years, but every time I called, he was usually too busy to talk. Sadly, after Nathan graduated high school, my brother rebelled and left home. He married and has an adult daughter still living at home. I called and prayed, but realized I ultimately had to leave my brother in God's hands.  Two weeks later we got the news that Nathan had died. It was a lot to process realizing how quickly life can change and end as we mourned the loss of our brother.

Halfway through March, feeling stronger and more like myself, on a warm sunny spring day, I went outside to paint my four Bluebird boxes. I was up and down the ladder doing just fine, until walking over a dirt pile to reach one birdhouse- left over from the other summer when Dwight was digging new line for the sewer- I tripped over a root and fell flat on my face again. I couldn't believe it. By evening, my shoulder was hurting me and my left hand had swelled back up again.  So back into the recliner with ice packs I went again.

            The next week, Dawn and her family came by for a quick visit on their way up to IN, to say good-bye as in two weeks they were heading to the Philippines. It was thrilling to hear how the Lord had opened so many doors where they were able to rent a one bedroom apartment over a store in a small town from a sister here in the states- which gave me peace of mind knowing they would at least have running water and electricity- and also another lady from the Philippines, who now works in a bank helped guide them through the financial end of things.  All too quickly I was requesting prayer as they flew out from Nashville on the 30th of March down to GA, and then for fifteen hours to South Korea.  From there they got another flight down to Manila arriving in the Philippines 24 hours after they left.  We are thankful that their entire luggage arrived with them. I was so relieved to hear Dawn’s voice calling me from the hotel to let me know that they were there. This past Monday, they flew from Manila down to the island of Negros, where their final journey was a two hour bus drive to the town of their apartment.  They are still battling exhaustion from the time change- our daytime is their night- and adjusting to the culture shock of being in a foreign country. We know that God will continue to lead them and open the right doors needed. Randy took Dana’s sermons and told me he plans on preaching some of them while over in the Philippines. Randy will be preaching and Dawn will be doing children’s work. It is so wonderful to see another generation following us in the ministry.  Our granddaughter, Annette, who got married this summer and is helping her husband pastor their home church, is taking care of the finances for Dawn and Randy while they are overseas. She is now playing the piano at church (fourth generation) and doing children’s work like I and used to.

             I ended up missing a month of church. It was so good to get back this past Sunday and worship with my church family playing the organ and singing. I still have to be careful with my shoulder and hand not to overdo it, but at least I can use them.

            Meanwhile here in the mountains, spring has definitely arrived despite some cold days and snowstorms in the month of March. Birds are busy building nests; already I’ve seen some butterflies, the round masses of froggy eggs in the pond are getting larger- soon tiny tadpoles will pop out.  This week I was out in my garden in the dirt planting potatoes, beets, brussel sprouts, and sweet peas.  The next warm sunny day I plan to plant peas, leaf lettuce, and spinach.  The daffodils, crocus, forsythia, cherry, and pear blossoms are mainly over while wild violets, pansies, phlox, and tulips are beginning to bloom. I love the bright spring green of tiny leaves unfurling as the grass greens up dotted with dandelions.  Yes, spring has sprung.

Wishing you a blessed Easter Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment