Welcome to our family blog to keep you updated on all the happenings around the Walker cottage and "farm". Even though we live in a rural section of the Tennessee Mountains life is far from boring as you will see.

Monday, May 23, 2022

FEBRUARY 2022 WALKER NEWSLETTER

 

Hello!

Spring is coming here on the mountain even though winter is trying to keep a tight grip. Despite more snow and below freezing temperatures, my daffodils have poked their heads out of the ground and the Eastern Bluebirds have come back to begin building nests again.  Today I noticed a male goldfinch's color beginning to brighten back up.  Soon he will be bright yellow ready to charm all the girls.  Meanwhile I have enjoyed the vivid red of the cardinals, the bossy blue jays, and red-headed woodpeckers among the other birds at my bird feeders. You always can tell when another snow storm is coming by the amount of birds suddenly flocking to the feeders.

I had five people at my house (Dana's younger brother and family) the weekend of Dale's (Dana's older brother that died right before Christmas) memorial.  That Tuesday my Uncle up in PA passed away as well. While the Walker clan was at Dale's memorial, I was able to see on my computer, my Uncle's funeral and hear my sister play the piano. After midnight, Richard, his wife, and granddaughter came back.  They spend the day with us Sunday.  That evening their granddaughter began feeling sick and decided to sleep on the couch instead of in my bed. Around 10 pm Lexy started throwing up. About midnight she began having diarrhea.  I ended up with her until 2 am. After they left around 9:30 am, I crashed back in bed totally wiped out.

A day later, Dwight came down with the same intestinal flu that left him weak and in bed.  Thankfully, I didn't get as bad an episode as he and Lexy.  Needless to say, life really slowed down while we regained our strength back.  We're grateful though that with all the covid virus and it's variants going around, we haven't had that.

The next week, I canned 20 quarts of pinto and black beans that I had saved up. There is nothing so cozy as canning in the kitchen while snow is blowing outside. I wish I could do all my summer canning in the winter as all the heat from the stove helps to warm up the house with the fires.

Just as I was speeding back up, I ended up with a left thumb/hand bleed, probably from all the wood and gallons of water I carry each day to the animals. Feeding and watering the animals, toting wood in (especially when Dwight's shoulder flared up again and the bulk of bringing in all the wood fell to me) and hauling ashes out takes a big part of each winter day.

It's amazing to realize just how much one uses their other hand when one can't. My pastor called and asked me to sing a special this past Sunday as several others were sick. I didn't know if I could play the organ at all with my hand, but figured I could sing and let his wife accompany me so I agreed.  You’ll never believe it (unless you know me- then it will be no surprise), but early Sunday morning, my pastor called, his wife was sick in bed and he really needed me to play the piano. So I ended up at the piano- now wishing that I was at the organ as it can make a fuller sound with lesser keys played- with an ice pack on my lap for my hand in between songs, and for the first time ever played the piano using only the little finger of my left hand for the bass.  At least my right hand was working, although it took concentration. Even then, by the time I got back home, my hand was hurting pretty bad.  I went back to living with an ice pack day and night to try and get it under control.  I am very thankful I can now use my left hand some as the pain has subsided, although it still is swollen.

I shall hush up- while I am still in one piece and Dwight can help bring in wood- as I want to get this newsletter out in the mail.

Take care and stay warm on your end~

Dorcas

No comments:

Post a Comment