Welcome to our family blog to keep you updated on all the happenings around the Walker cottage and "farm". Even though we live in a rural section of the Tennessee Mountains life is far from boring as you will see.

Monday, February 12, 2024

2024 JANUARY & FEBRUARY WALKER NEWSLETTER

 

Hello!

The New Year has come and gone already, and we finally got some snow here on the mountain. Now it is halfway through February and the temperature continues to fluctuate up and down.  I noticed some of my daffodils poking their heads out of the ground already.  Spring is coming- joys- but winter is not finished yet.

Our place has a new look. The local electric company came and cut down all the birch trees on the one side of our driveway. The little two-foot twigs I had planted years ago now were over 60 feet tall. A lot of huge branches were falling and in danger of landing on the main electrical wire to our house. It was quite the job and took most of the day. We want to cut down the birch trees on the other side as well.  Right now, there are huge logs and branches covering up my formal garden needing to be cut up before spring gets here.  There is never a shortage of things needing to get done.

Towards the end of January, my granddaughter, Annette, her husband, Curtis, and my great granddaughter, Ellie, came up to visit.  It was a joy to hold the little Miss again. She's growing, cooing, and looking all around at her new world.

I have kept busy keeping water in the duck and hen houses, breaking ice in the buckets outside, making sure there is plenty of feed, and spreading more straw to keep the animals warm and comfy during cold days.

Dwight has kept the woodstove going and stocking wood. We are grateful for the wood fires on frigid days to warm our bones and keep the house cozy. I love baking and making large pots of soup on cold winter days.

I unloaded the back closet and plan to get painting it this week. As usual I am behind of where I'd like to be, but thankful for each day I can be up and get around.  One week, my hip acted up and I had to use a cane to get around. You would think I was an old lady, huh? The cold temperatures are hard on Dwight's ankles and joints as well. One day when we both were limping around, I said a body would think we were old folk in a nursing home.

Dwight took me this week to the hematologist for my high iron. She did a bunch of blood work, wants me to get an ultrasound of my liver, and other tests to try and pinpoint exactly what is going on. I've got an appointment for a rheumatologist as well. I tried to donate blood to the Red Cross when they were in town but when my finger stick kept bleeding and they found out about hemophilia, they wouldn't touch me. After all the tests come back and if nothing else shows up, the hematologist wants me to come in and have them draw off blood each month and see if my iron will get down to normal.  Meanwhile, I shall continue eating beans which helps and work up a sweat as much as possible under Dwight’s watchful eye. I am praying for a healing touch as I don’t want to have to go on another medication. Won’t it be grand when we get a glorified body and don’t have to worry about these earthly bodies acting up every time you turn around?

Keep praying for my daughter, Dawn, and her family in the Philippines.  They have been battling sickness that is going around.  Also due to the dry weather their well has run dry so they are toting water and having to do the wash by hand again.  We thank the Lord for all the doors He has opened for them in spreading the gospel on their island.

Take care on your end!

Dorcas

No comments:

Post a Comment