Welcome to our family blog to keep you updated on all the happenings around the Walker cottage and "farm". Even though we live in a rural section of the Tennessee Mountains life is far from boring as you will see.

Tuesday, September 26, 2023

AUGUST & SEPTEMBER WALKER NEWSLETTER 2023

 

Hello!

Another month and a half have passed since I sent out the last newsletter.

The ground is dry and dusty from the dog days of summer as we head into autumn.  We are still picking a few green beans, peppers, and tomatoes from the garden. Not only did the crazy hard freezes from this spring kill the azalea, most of the lilacs, and wisteria blooms this year, but it also killed the young grapes beginning to form on the vines. For the first time that I can remember there are no grapes.  Thankfully, the last summer roses continue to bloom as the autumn clematis perfumes the air.

I finished drying the rest of the apples that turned into quite a chore.

We traveled to Annette's baby shower in Nashville on a stormy day.  The rain pounded down so hard it was hard to see. I was glad that Dwight was the one behind the wheel.  Twice we had to go into the other lane where the road was flooded over to get through. Then as the baby shower was coming to an end, everyone began getting alerts on their phones about a tornado heading to Nashville.  So, everyone stayed later than planned due to the bad storm.  Annette got a lot of lovely baby gifts, and we had a great time together, but it is one baby shower that I don't think anyone will forget about soon. The next day I went shopping with Dawn and Annette as she finished getting the rest of the stuff on her list for the baby.

It was hard to say good-bye to Dawn and her family not knowing how long it will be until we see them again. Dawn, Randy, William, and Katie flew out Tues from Nashville and I was quite relieved when the news came that they had safely made it to their Philippine Island Thursday morning. Thankfully, they have adjusted a lot better with the complete change in time and days going back than they did coming here. The folk were so excited to see Dawn and her family again and their church and children attendance has increased. Meanwhile, Katie has begun her school year of home-schooling.

As I said last time, I was doing great and able to do things like before my shoulder acted up when I fell the first of the year. Well don't you know it, the very week Dawn left, I fell. I was carrying two potted plants out to my back yard as we had turned the air conditioning on. I ended up tripping over some ivy that I love growing along the ground and up some of the trees that unfortunately has spread into the path. One minute I was on my feet and the next, before I could catch my balance or flip my body, I was flying through the air landing on my right shoulder and hip with the plants flying everywhere. Talk about a mess!

I ended up in the recliner again with ice packs on my hip and right shoulder, but after two days my rotator cuff muscle- that I had previously damaged- was doing OK.  I gave a huge sigh of relief.

Two weeks later, one morning, I picked green beans- like I had been doing the previous weeks- and weeded some areas really pushing myself in the heat.  Everything would have been OK, but the very next day I went grocery shopping, and it was pouring rain. In my defense, it had been three months since I was down with my right shoulder bleeding internally, so I thought I was completely out of the woods. I held my umbrella in my left hand while I loaded gallon jugs of milk, vinegar, etc. along with bags of cans with my right hand into the trunk hurrying to get out of the rain as quickly as possible. That night, my shoulder started hurting with the pain intensifying unlike when the rotator cuff muscle hurts. I immediately got ice packs, took pain meds, and settled myself back in the recliner. The next day and the next it was no better- waking up a couple of times in the night due to the pain. After eleven days my pain decreased enough where I cut back half on the pain meds, and I was able to be up and around more with my sling.  Then, wouldn’t you know it, my shoulder pain shot up again after carrying gallon jugs of water for the animals until I woke up in agony where nothing helped.

Dwight called the hemophilia clinic and he drove me down two-and-one-half hours the next day to see the hematologist. To make the trip, I propped myself on pillows, lying down in the back seat, dozing off and on from being up the night before. At the clinic, blood was taken for more tests and x-rays done to make sure that my rotator cuff wasn’t torn, my shoulder fractured, or a bone chipped. The hematologist wanted me to come back the next week, but I stayed home as my clotting time was up enough that I wouldn’t be given factor, and I was already doing everything they recommended. Dwight agreed as traveling only aggravates an internal bleed.

So went the month of August. Meanwhile, dear Dwight has filled in the slack.  He not only cooked, washed dishes, baked, cleaned, hung up wash, folded clothes, went to town, paid bills, picked up prescriptions, and braided my hair, but I had- before all this happened- bought a bushel of tomatoes, ordered beans to can, and more tomatoes. Although Dwight doesn’t even like tomato juice, he manfully chopped up what I needed and helped me make and can tomato juice twice and along with green beans. I told him he would definitely get an extra star in his crown for helping me with the tomato juice.  Dwight has though, I have to confess, become quite bossy and particular about me using my right hand even in a sling. Every time I turn around, Dwight is telling me no, I can’t do that- acting like I am some decrepit person living in a nursing home. My pastor and daughter both told me that I needed to listen to Dwight- nothing like everyone ganging up on me. Dawn was so impressed with how well her brother was turning out to be a housewife that she said instead of the “pioneer woman” line; Dwight could start a “pioneer man” brand instead.

Thankfully, to save my sanity and Dwight’s, the beginning of this month I was able to cut my pain meds in half and finally could sleep through the night. What a blessing!  I am trying to be good; I promise. I am so tired of living in the recliner and popping pills.  My fingers itch to get out in the garden and into the dirt. Meanwhile, I am able to wash dishes and cook more. I have taken walks in the woods to help regain strength and snuck out to the garden- don’t tell Dwight- to collect and save flower seeds.  I enjoy rocking in my chair on the front porch, observing, and taking care of the birds.  I am blessed to have such a wonderful son that helps and watches over me- even to the point of spying on me when I am innocently rocking on the porch enjoying the hens and ducks in the yard to make sure that I am not doing something I’m not supposed to be.  I feel like I have turned into quite the lazy person, but the year isn’t over yet.

Until next time~ Dorcas

No comments:

Post a Comment