Welcome to our family blog to keep you updated on all the happenings around the Walker cottage and "farm". Even though we live in a rural section of the Tennessee Mountains life is far from boring as you will see.

Friday, June 11, 2021

JUNE WALKER NEWSLETTER

 

Hello!

Summer has arrived with hot humid weather that makes one sweat just going outside. Thing were really getting dry- my large water barrels that I use for the animals and gardens attached to the gutters were low and I was carrying water.  So when a much needed rain came I was thrilled.  After almost three weeks of rain nearly every day, I am ready for sunshine as my water barrels are overflowing.

It definitely is ducky weather. All the baby ducks ( I bought five more that are going to be white as I only have two white ducks left) have grown so they are now all out in the yard with the bigger ducks splashing in the puddles and playing in the rain having a big time.  Their tiny feet really have to move to keep up with the bigger ducks.  As soon as the bigger ducks stop to hunt for bugs all the eight babies plop their tiny bottoms on the ground to rest. They are so adorable and growing fast.  Sassy stays busy bossing her three and the other five around babies.  The yellow ducks are as big as the three she hatched out earlier.

I also bought some more honey bees so now have two hives buzzing away. Dwight helped me relocated the old hive to another place where there is more light. I bought another hive that I painted and Dwight set up.  The bees are doing much better in the new location.

All the rain and warm weather has made the planted seeds sprout and everything in the garden grow quickly.   The iris and peonies have bloomed and died already.  Now the roses are blooming and so beautiful this year.  My day lilies are just beginning to bloom along with daisies and other flowers. I love seeing the colorful butterflies fluttering among the flowers and hear the bees buzzing when I am out in the gardens.

Last week I picked cherries and more strawberries. Before long the raspberries and blackberries will be ripe. Tiny clusters of grapes have appeared on all the grapevines; lots of signs of life everywhere.

Early morning of the day I went to pick Dana up from the nursing home last month, I got to see tiny bluebirds fledge for the first time. I stood in my sun room amazed as one after another fluttered tiny wings and flew for the first time while their mother and father chirped encouragement and flew in circles around the nest box. The last little bluebird was reluctant to fly perching on the edge of the opening cheeping and looking around. It would flap its tiny wings and hop around, but then sit back down. I could just imagine how scary the big world looked to this tiny bird outside the safety of the nest box. I’ve felt like that many times when life pushed me out of my comfort zone. The mother bird kept chirping and I could hear smaller chirps from the others as they fluttered around flying short distances and then resting. Finally, after thirty minutes, the last baby bird got brave enough to fly the short distance to the nearby bush. It was an awesome experience to witness this family of fledging bluebirds outside my window.

This Friday Dana and I will celebrate our 45th anniversary.  I can’t believe how quickly the years have flown by.  Dana is still weak despite having physical therapy twice a week.  He isn’t gaining back his strength like we had hoped. His ox levels often are down even on oxygen every day. So taking care of Dana keeps me busy. I’m so glad I have Dwight here at home to help.

The big news in our family is that Annette, Dawn’s oldest girl, got engaged in April and is planning on getting married the end of July. It doesn’t seem like that long ago I was racing around in wedding preparations for Dawn’s wedding living with multiple lists for a year. I can never forget that wild and hectic time of life and can’t imagine putting together a wedding in a couple of months. Being the grandma is so nice to only have to show up, sit back, and enjoy the celebration. Dana would like to go to the wedding, but at this point there is no way he could handle the trip etc.  My wedding preparations will be making sure Dana is covered while I am gone for a long day. While it would be lovely to stay longer and visit, all the care Dana needs demands that I get back as quickly as possible.

Hope you are enjoying summer on your end.

Until next time~

Dorcas

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment