Welcome to our family blog to keep you updated on all the happenings around the Walker cottage and "farm". Even though we live in a rural section of the Tennessee Mountains life is far from boring as you will see.

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

JANUARY 2020 and FEBRUARY Walker Newsletter

Hello!
Happy New Year to one and all. My new year started out feeling like I was going backwards one hundred years instead of forward.  It all began on Christmas morning as I was preparing a big breakfast to send Dawn and her family off (thankfully we had already opened our gifts Mon night and Tues had our candlelight Christmas supper) when our sewer system (that we've had for over 35 years) stopped up.  First the guys went up into the attic to check on the vent pipe to make sure it wasn't blocked, then down underneath the house- Dawn leading the way as she was smaller and towards the front the space narrows- to check to see if anything was clogged and couldn't get to anything so with shovels and a iron rod (after eating breakfast) they all began to dig down to the sewer tank. Not exactly a task one would chose for Christmas. As figured the tank needs pumped out. Dawn and her family finally left- all a muddy mess- early afternoon to head back home with barely enough time to spare to get cleaned up before heading to Randy's parents home calling out to me, "Merry Christmas, Grandma, and a Happy stinky New Year! Dwight spent Christmas afternoon building a temporary outhouse at the back of our property. This is one Christmas we shall never forget.
Dwight worked to get the line unclogged and able to use one toilet just as the rain and cold weather arrived again- what a blessing! Right after the new year, besides having to throw out all the dishwater etc over the front porch (I was amazed at how much water one uses in the kitchen) as I was unable to use the kitchen sink, our water heater went out.  So now I also had to start heating water too. By then I was feeling quite overwhelmed. It has been a work in progress as Dwight has had to keep unclogging the line and redoing the pipe work. The first Sunday of the year instead of being able to go to church, I was busy running back and forth between the two bathrooms that are located at the far ends of the house- flushing toilets, running water in the tubs, and making sure they didn't overflow.  I'm very happy to say that we are at last civilized again, although we still need to get the tank pumped out, but at least we can use our toilets and have hot water. What bliss!!!  How quickly we can take everyday modern conveniences for granted until they break down.
I'm very thankful my shoulder is back to normal as I helped Dwight move part of my enclosed garden fence that was over the septic tank a couple of feet and move some bushes back further as well. The weather has been unusually warm lately so one day I raked off the azalea bushes and trimmed some straggly hedge rows.
Right before Christmas we also had another episode with Dana. Being unable to drive due to my shoulder, I ran out of scot tape while wrapping presents one afternoon so had Dwight quick run me into town. Dana was in his chair, I gave him a snack, and figured he would go to sleep and be okay until we got back. On the way home I was telling Dwight how thankful I was for the prn med I had that I had given Dana over the thanksgiving holiday and was starting again for Christmas as it had helped him. We topped our hill and Dwight said, “Mom, there is a police car and ambulance in our driveway.”  I couldn’t believe my eyes wondering what on earth was going on. Was the house on fire or what? I rushed into the house and was told that Dana had called 911, was very confused so they sent the police, who when he arrived saw Dana in a seizure and become unresponsive, so he called the ambulance. I felt terrible apologizing to everyone as Dana hadn’t had a seizure episode for five months or so explaining why I had left my husband alone. Talk about feeling guilty! The one time both Dwight and I were gone this happened. So instead of finishing wrapping gifts, Dwight and I drove 45 minutes to Crossville (our hospital has been closed- another story in itself) to the ER where the doctor ordered all kinds of tests. Everything came back normal and we were able to bring Dana back home late that night.
This past week, I took Dana to see his psychologist. Lo and behold if she isn’t quitting seeing patients after several years practice. So now I have to call around and find another psychologist before Dana’s meds run out. I would appreciate prayer about this matter as it had taken years to get Dana stabilized and all too often a new doctor loves to rearrange meds etc, which only makes Dana end up back in the hospital until he gets leveled out again.
Life sure has a way of giving us curves and u-turns unexpectedly just when we think everything is fine. I told Dana the other day I don’t know why I even try to write fiction- am working on a couple of books- as most folks would think my daily life was pure fiction in itself.
I’m so thankful that despite life’s upheavals, He is in control. I certainly couldn’t make it without Him. I do appreciate all the prayers sent my way. Together with God, we can face the coming year ahead.



Hello!
So far we have had a mild winter compared to other years. Instead of snowstorms like the northern states, we have had an abundance of rain. The weather has been acting like spring. My winter jasmine bushes have been blooming, the daffodils are up everywhere and ready to burst into bloom while the iris and even some of the lilies have poked their heads out of the ground.  It's also wonderful to see spring green grass appearing giving color to the bleak landscape.
All the animals are thriving- hunkering down during cold spells and then perking up when it warms back up. I mucked out the henhouse again and put in new straw. The ducks are in their glory with all the rain waddling as fast as their fat little legs will go each morning down to the stream in the woods to play and splash with lots of ducky enthusiasm and then quack their protest getting shut up at night.
Shortly after my January newsletter, Dwight came down with a hip bleed that has lasted nearly a month now. It is quite frustrating for him as he has to stay off of his feet and is limited in what he can do.
So it put carrying in all the wood for the wood-stoves on me.  Wintertime flares up my RA more to begin with slowing me down. After two weeks of carrying wood every day I was so exhausted physically I could hardly go. Pastor Sam came and filled up the wood rack on the back porch for me last week, which was such a blessing. The good Lord knows right when to send in help. We are blessed to have such a caring pastor and lots of wonderful friends.
Thanks bunches for all the prayers sent our way! We send prayers out to you as well knowing several of you are going through a lot of things on your end too.  How exciting to be part of a circle of prayer support for each other. What an awesome way to live through the year.  So stay encouraged God loves you and so do we.
Have a Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Lots of love~
Dorcas


No comments:

Post a Comment