Welcome to our family blog to keep you updated on all the happenings around the Walker cottage and "farm". Even though we live in a rural section of the Tennessee Mountains life is far from boring as you will see.

Monday, October 5, 2026

MARCH and APRIL

This year, I've been so busy enjoying the gorgeous spring weather lately, the dazzling array of colorful flowers, and the many birds that have arrived here to build nests in the TN Mountains, until Easter has snuck up on me before I realized it. This past month, all I can describe the weather as is March madness with the roller coaster temperatures rising up into the 70's, and without warning, plunging down into freezing. One might put on warmer clothes in the chilly morning, only to start sweating in the afternoon when the temperature gets. Towards the end of March, we had a hard freeze right as the blooming pear and crabapple trees, yellow forsythias (in their peak), and pink primrose bushes, and many daffodils- not to mention the violets and lilacs just beginning to flower hit, only for the temperature to rise back into the higher 70's a couple of days later. Right now, the dogwoods and azaleas are blooming. Thankfully, there are still thick patches of white and purple violets carpeting the ground, making the bees go crazy.  Despite the cold, damp days of rain, all the trees and roses are showing new green leaves. Winter has been pushed back to the arctic as warm breezes blow.

I've planted more seeds sitting in the recliner, loving getting my fingers in the dirt. The ones we planted last month have come up and are doing well in the greenhouse. This month, when we get more potting soil, Dwight is going to fill the waist-high, raised garden spot that he built for me on the back porch, so I can putter around and plant more flowers. What fun! Sadly, my days of digging all the garden plots with a shovel are over.

I have made it to the fifth week again of staying up on my feet, as Dwight has fussed over me like a broody hen if I tried to do too much or push it. Yay!!! The exciting and scary part, of trying to be careful with my ratty hip, is that I have been able to walk on all my porches, in the yard, to the greenhouse, and have made it all around the house. What bliss to feel the solid ground under my feet! I'm also able to fill my water, get my snacks, breakfast, and supper throughout the day. I do love being independent.

Dwight has hung out the hummingbird feeders already. I love to see those tiny, winged creatures buzzing through the air. I've begun filling the regular bird feeders hanging on the porch. Another joy is discovering butterflies fluttering about the spring flowers, bushes, and trees. One day last week, after filling the front feeder, I could hear all kinds of birds singing through the open window, as if to thank me. Now, when I'm outside, and they hear my voice, they will gather and begin chirping. Hopefully, one day I will be able to sit out on my porch like I used to instead of just walking slowly around. Breathing in the fresh air and feeling the sun on my face, though, is worth slowly enduring days of waiting and working to get to this point.

I am very blessed this Easter season!

How can one not rejoice being surrounded by all kinds of life and seeing the newness of the earth coming alive? It all points to our resurrected Savior, where death, hell, and the grave could not hold Him. This blessed hope is also a promise of one day being reunited with all our loved ones again forever. Even if I can't kick up my heels like I’d love to, I can still celebrate the wonder and joys of Easter.

When I talked to Dawn last, she and her family all got sick and were down for one week; they think it was from the drinking water they bought, so they are buying their water at another store. Right now, they are in the hottest part of the year when the temperatures soar above 100 degrees, living without any air conditioning, draining one’s body. They constantly sweat in the high humidity, causing itchy rashes all over. Dawn said the side of one’s body facing a fan will feel a bit cooler while the other side stays hot. They have to be careful and stay indoors during the hot afternoons to avoid heatstroke. Meanwhile, they still take people to the hospital, give first aid daily, tote water in, and wash clothes by hand. It’s hard to sleep at night due to the heat, despite the fans constantly going. They can’t count on continuous electricity, as it often goes off for an hour or so, day or night. This Easter Sunday, close to forty people will be packed into their small, sweltering living room for church in the morning. After that, they will go up the mountain in the oppressive heat for another service before lunch, and in the late hot afternoon, Dawn will do a children’s service on her front porch.

Dawn plans to fly back in the middle of next month as she is scheduled for her hand carpal tunnel surgery at the end of the month. Pray that the airport problems and delays will be resolved by then and that she will have a safe flight. The rest of the family will fly back sometime in June.

Well, I need to hush up and get all the cards and letters in the mail first thing tomorrow morning.

Have a blessed Easter season! 

No comments:

Post a Comment