Happy
4th of July as we celebrate our nation's 250th Birthday!!!
Fifty
years ago, as America was celebrating our 200th birth, Dana and I got married
in the school chapel of PVBI at Penns Creek, PA. In fact, even though our
marriage didn't make the news, firecrackers were set off at our reception. My
wedding colors were red, white, and blue. Five years ago this September, Dana,
went to heaven. If not, we'd be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. It's
hard to believe that fifty years have already passed. Maybe, it's a good thing
though that Dana, his father- a veteran of three wars, and the Walker brother
military clan are now nearly gone, or they'd be up in Washington letting the
president and the liberals with all their wild stunts know exactly how they
felt. Not to mention straightening out the crazy people trying to ruin the
beautification of our nation's capital.
Meanwhile,
here in the Tennessee Mountains, as the summer weather keeps fluctuating
between cold, chilly, very hot, and humid, we are very thankful for the freedom
we have here in America. Despite, all the things still needing to be fixed, we
are truly blessed as a nation. All the tourist from overseas that have come to
the World Series we are hosting this year are amazed at the vastness and
grandeur of our beautiful county, not to mention the abundance of food and
clothing that we take for granted. Shame on us.
Our
nation was founded on Christian principles and the Bible. We still have
"In God We Trust" on our money and federal buildings and display the
Ten Commandments. God has certainly been good to us! All across our nation,
flags are flying high in the breeze as celebrations break out and will continue
through next month. Because of God's blessings, we can stand tall and be proud
to be an American.
As
the roses continue to bloom off and on, my many-colored tiger lilies are
blooming and even the hostas are sending up shoots of pale lavender blooms in
the shade. The stately Rose of Sharon's are showcasing their two-toned colored
flowers as the spreading honeysuckle and hummingbird vines bloom wildly. My
beehives are buzzing each warm, sunny day gathering nectar while butterflies
hover over flowers and dragonflies flit around. The bird feeders are extra busy
as tiny; this season's hatched birds flutter and chirp, following their
parent's lead to good food sources. I love going on onto my porches in the dusk
and watch the lightning bugs flicker all across the lawn. Yes, summer has
arrived with long humid days and nights. I love the smell of newly cut grass
and hearing the raindrops on the roof settling the dust and heat.
I'm
so grateful to still be up on my feet and able to get around. Just this week,
I've begun going up and down the steps into the study. Yesterday, at last, I
was able to walk out to the mailbox. Yay! There is nothing like being able to
place one's feet on the solid ground and feel the earth underneath you. Poor
Dwight is constantly keeping an eye on me to make sure I behave at this stage
and don't end up back down like I've battled for two years now. When one feels
like themselves and is more independent, it's easy to think your body is
stronger than it really is and overdo it, forgetting how quickly one's hip can
flare up, even after six weeks. Sigh.
I
am really trying to behave and keep my fingers in check that itch to do more.
Sometimes they do rebel. I need to stay up on my feet because next week Dawn
and her family- that finally got reunited after being apart for six weeks around
the world from each other- are coming to visit. I am so excited and anxious to
see them once more and make memories that I can remember throughout the next
year when they are back in the Philippines.
Then,
at the end of July, my sister, Lois, and her family from PA, and my niece,
Stacy, and her two children, which are currently in South Korea for the month
with Justin (who is in the air force), are coming from North Carolina to my
house. Whew! Talk about things happening here on the mountain this summer. My
little house’s walls will be buzzing with all the chatter and laughter. What fun!
Dwight
has been working on his knives until this week, when he got down with a hip
bleed. So, he is trying to baby it along in order to get back on his feet
before everyone arrives. It’s a frustrating but way of life for those of us who
daily have to deal with chronic, medical issues when one’s body doesn’t behave
itself. I’m extra thankful that Dwight doesn’t have to wait hand and foot on me
right now.
Have a wonderful 4th of July on your end~
No comments:
Post a Comment