Welcome to our family blog to keep you updated on all the happenings around the Walker cottage and "farm". Even though we live in a rural section of the Tennessee Mountains life is far from boring as you will see.

Thursday, July 19, 2018

JULY NEWSLETTER


Hello!  Hello!

As usual things have been buzzing here on the Walker Farm despite the humid heat and dry weather. We really need rain. I've had to water my tomatoes and other stuff nearly every week along with my regular chores lately. So I try and get everything done outside early in the morning.  Despite the sweltering weather the roses, old fashion tall fragrant phlox (colors of deep pink to pale, white, and lavender), and dark red bee balm are blooming madly. My rose of Sharon in pink, white, and lavender has started blooming as well. My flower gardens are full of bees buzzing, butterflies fluttering, and dragon flies hovering from dawn to dusk. The hummingbirds are keeping me busy filling their feeders too.
 
A couple days after I mailed the June newsletter, I was out in the garden and fell spraining my left ankle this time so was back to hobbling around with a cane and having to keep my foot up. I was back up on my feet a week later when on Father's Day afternoon it rained hard and when I came back inside after going to the hen house my feet slipped out from under me- thankfully I had just set down the basket of eggs- and I re-sprained my left ankle!!! I couldn't believe it. (Note: I have since gotten better outdoor shoes that are not slick and black rubber mats at each doorway for when I come inside to help keep me up instead of down.)

That Monday Dwight helped me- as I had to use a cane to walk- take Dana down to the Livingston hospital where he was admitted. We didn't get back home until 10 pm. Dana spent a week in the hospital and was put on two more medications, which has helped him sleep better at night so he isn't falling out of bed.  Dana is weaker and more unsteady so physical therapy is coming twice a week. Dwight also helped me redo the bathroom seat and shower chair making it higher and sturdier for Dana. Dawn and her kids ran up one morning for a quick visit while she was down at Monterey doing a VBS. I've been picking green beans and blackberries- thankfully haven't had any more bear problems. Our neighbor gave me squash since mine hasn't come in yet. I love fried squash with my homemade apple butter. I also have been putting straw/manure from the chicken house out on my garden to help my plants in the heat and clean out the hen house as well. I redid all the nests with fresh straw much to the hens delight. Princess is growing, but I am still putting her up at night as I continue to battle the rat problem, which I am slowly winning.

Case is turning ten next week so this past weekend while he was here we celebrated his birthday. Can you believe it? He is almost as tall as me already and not even a teenager yet. These kids grow so fast. It was also hard to believe how big Dawn's kids were when they were here as we hadn't seen them for six months.
Well I'd better hush up so I can get this out in the mail.

Take care and keep cool!
Dorcas

No comments:

Post a Comment